Tuesday, September 28, 2010

An Inadvertent Win:

I posted the following for Inklings Bookshop's Poetry Day contest on Thursday. I merely wanted to be involved in the discussion, because it was about children's poetry, and if there are two genres of literature that are my favorite, they are children's lit and poetry. If you put the two together, fireworks explode in my heart, and I can't help but grin. Why, just today a fourth grade girl came up to me and showed me Sharon Creech's Love That Dog and Hate That Cat, and I could hardly contain myself in a professional manner as I tried to communicate to her my enthusiasm for poetry and Sharon Creech. So here's my little snippet--I hope it gets you reading children's poetry! :D

"One of my favorite childhood poems is'Disobedience' by A.A. Milne, which is about how a 3 year old takes such good care of his mother, but unfortunately she disobeys him and ends up lost. Despite King George's offer of "forty shillings reward," James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree's mother is never found again. Alas! But it's hilarious..."

P.S. I was just perusing the blogs in my little subscription inbox (RSS feed? I don't know what it's called, for sure). In doing so, I have realized that I am ONE MONTH behind in my reading! How did this happen? I'm sorry, dear ones--I will begin catching up on your lives ASAP. (Which probably means after I get back from California on the 12th of October:(...) I'm sorry! Will catch up; cross my heart and kiss my elbow. Hasta luego.

No comments: