Saturday, November 7, 2009

A comment on Miss Emilia's blog which felt rather important in its own right...

Maybe I should read that book... More and more I become frustrated with the traditional Christianity in general, now and in the past. Our country and world need a revival--a complete, total, thorough revival--of true Christ-seeking. Think about Abraham, wandering the world. He was not a Jew, not a Christian, not affiliated with any religion. He was a seeker of the one, true Living God, Jehovah, Yaweh.

I was raised in a school whose mascot is the Crusaders, and it wasn't until 10th grade World History that I learned, "Hmmm, the Crusaders were, for the most part, pursuing wealth, not God. The Crusades were a form of genocide." And my grandfather's grandfather was a missionary in the time when a lot of missionaries were, with good or ill intentions, and I can't see whether he was one of them, trying to force Native Americans to be "Americanized"--to take on the culture of the white man. Bleck!

I want to see a world where Christians stand up for social justice and love this world and its people unconditionally. But how does that happen? It's a lot of changing that needs to go on. And, I'm afraid that this all just me being stereotypically "young and idealistic." I want to be realistic and idealistic. Is that possible? And I want it to last my whole lifetime. I want to care about people and potential for change forever and always. I don't think it's too much to ask, but I do think it takes a lot of work, and I think it's easier when it's not just me--when there's a whole network of world-changers held together in the common pursuit of God's plan.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Em said...

I'm pretty sure that, from a Biblical perspective, wanting to love the world and its people in a Christ-like way is in no way 'young and idealistic'. From what I know, it's what true Christianity is all about. I just wish more Christians were willing to act on that idea... That said, yes, you should read Blue Like Jazz :)