Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Galaderia

Hmmmm. I thought I'd solved the title/label problem, but maybe that was only on another computer. Maybe the trouble is with my computer, and maybe I haven't solved the problem after all...

Anyway. Yesterday I learned the name of a very pretty flower. Today, I tested my powers of recollection and asked my mother, What's that flower's name? galaderia?" She responded, "Yes, galaderia."

Well, I wanted to know how to spell it. (Don't you???)

I always want to know the spellings of words I learn. Somehow I am not able to be completely in touch with the soul of a word until it's spelling & I are well-acquainted. I cannot explain why this is true, but I like that it is.

At any rate, I went to faithful Google to find the correct spelling of my flower. When regular Google only brought up mentions of Galladoria and bits of foreign languages, I moved my search to Google Images. Though Google Images, too, was sure I was interested in Galladoria, I simply was not. And while a search for "galaderia flower" came up blank, "galladeria flower" returned to me lovely photos of Gaillardia aristata, apparently also known as "blanketflower" or, much more delightfully, "goblin blanketflower."

Sadly, I prefer the misspelling--and mispronunciation-- of "galaderia," and I am nevertheless considering naming my first daughter such: Galaderia. Lovely ring to it, isn't there?

And after all, how many people would ever know it was a misnomer, really?

Mischievously yours,
~The Furry Eel~

No comments: